Friday, May 06, 2016

Interesting This Week



Wow, the Internet is a cool place, isn't it? I love how it allows me to make connections with people and ideas. It's like magic a little bit and shapes my thinking in so many ways. It's like the best library you ever visited only better because you get to check out people and perspectives. Here's some of what I found interesting this week:

Moxie: Let Down Syndrome Define You -- by Meriah Nichols

The way that your extra chromosome expresses itself is a part of what makes you, you.

It’s more than the physical pieces – your lovely eyes, crinkly ears, petite size – it’s the way your brain works. It’s a part of how you receive and process information. It’s the way you see and interact with your world.

Down syndrome is like the feet upon which you stand – it’s a part of you. It can carry you forward, it can move you in new directions if you allow it.

After a Big Seizure and Before Dressing -- by Elizabeth Aquino

It's difficult to defend the integrity of another person who can't do it for herself. It wears on the soul. The wearing, though, is like clothes. A garment to mask vulnerability. The wearing is from the outside, not her. It's from you. We shouldn't have to defend or even wear the clothes.

Under the Table - The Importance of Presuming Competence | Shelley Moore | TEDxLangleyED

Watch this. I mean it. Really, this will be the best 15 minutes of your day. I've only ever sent two fan letters in my life and one of the was to Shelley. I've watched it 3 times already and now that I'm thinking about it, I'm going to go watch it again. See you there!

The Hackensaw Boys on NPR's Weekend Edition

That other fan letter I wrote? It was to these guys, a band with local ties, bringing music and dancing to the residents of this little green house for years. The music of the Hackensaw Boys was the first that made Oliver get up and dance so I wrote and told them of the JOY and even now, so many years later, when I see them Ferd will ask: "How's Oliver?" I love them so! 

No comments:

Post a Comment