Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Reason 1001 why Rachel Rocks!

Ok, have I ever told you that Oliver has a teeny tiny little sleeping problem? Well, I mean it doesn't seem  to be much of a problem for Oliver. But for the rest of us? It pretty much stinks. Imagine if you will, what it would be like to not sleep through the night for 7 years straight. Alright, I'm exaggerating a little bit. But only a little bit.

Anyway, Oliver has been on a no-sleep bender for the past couple of weeks (yes, I said weeks). Basically, this means that he sleeps for about 4 hours and then gets up for three or four or five hours or that he just never goes back to sleep. (we see this extreme every year at this time.)

So last night was better than a lot of nights. The boy slept until 3:30 before waking every one up. I traded beds with Sami and kept Oliver company, whom I had dosed up with melatonin, hoping that he would fall back asleep before dawn. No such luck.

But here is the brilliant part. Rachel arrives at 8:30 every day!!! So I didn't even bother changing out of my pajamas because -- get this -- I could take a nap!! And I did. I slept for 90 minutes and then got up and had an undisturbed shower. Can I tell you the last time I had an undisturbed shower? I practically cried when I told Rachel how ridiculously happy a nap and a shower made me.

I'm also ridiculously happy that Rachel is totally amazing with Oliver. He loves her already and is always smiling when they spend time together.

On another note: we've been consulting with a neurologist about the sleep thing and we're trying a medication (clonidine) that I'm really hopeful will help. Keep your fingers crossed for us!


5 comments:

  1. Henry tried Clonidine a couple years ago for behavior issues. It didn't really help with his behavior but did make him sleepy.

    I commented in a hurry on your last post, but kept thinking about it. I think it's going to be great for all of you to have another special person in your/Oliver's life- broadening your horizons, as I think you said. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We tried clonidine a few years ago too, it made him go to sleep, but didn't keep him asleep, and the next day he was really drowsy, and uncoordinated, but he was 3 at the time. It is next on our things to try again when we get desperate enough lol.

    I hope it works for you guys, but either way, I am still so excited that you have some help. Not just help, but good help:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! Can I just tell you that I practically cried when I read that you practically cried with an undisturbed shower and nap because I get what it is like. (Knock on wood) Andrew has been sleeping well for well over a year now.

    Good luck with the medication! I hope it works for him. Risperdal has been working well for Andrew, as you know. And it makes him drowsy. I give it to him at 7 and by 8 he is ready for bed. Sleeps all night. (Knock on wood again!!!) Just tonight, I was busy and at 7:10 Andrew brought me the orange juice from the fridge. I guess he was telling me it was medication time :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never heard of clonidine, does a neurologist prescribe it? As you know, John and Oliver are very similar in their night time awakenings. Most nights he is up for the day between 2 and 3 am, which means no one else is getting any sleep either. I hope it works, would love to hear updates. And so glad for your Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
  5. dids mom1:10 AM

    ds had sleep problems for years. He never went to sleep at the same time and lots of nights would wake up and laugh hysterically for hours on end. It was impossible to make any schedule with him because his sleeping habits were so unpredictable. About a year ago we started HANDLE. Within a couple of months all this was a thing of the past.He even puts himself to bed at night when he feels tired.He rarely wakes up in the middle of the night. HANDLE has done lots of other good things besides. Good luck with what ever you do.

    ReplyDelete