Thursday, November 21, 2013

My disability is a kind of ability

i have been working very hard on tests. the tests have mostly been easy and i think everyone is surprised by how smart i am. it feels wonderful to finally really have people treat me like i am a thinking boy.  i think really good people sometimes want to help me instead of speaking to me as though i am capable. when they talk to me slowly, loudly and with simple words they think they are making it easier to understand them. they don't understand that my disability is a kind of ability, too. when i can't do things because my body won't cooperate this is my disability. but i also think my autism helps me learn things in a way that others really don't understand. i remember everything i see and hear. i think the good parts of my autism would be something every person would like to have if they could.

Oliver

3 comments:

  1. What a great post! I would love to have the ability to remember everything I see and hear -- I've actually been thinking about that a lot recently.

    I think that being on the autism spectrum and being "neurotypical" are both a mix of strengths and difficulties. I love the way you put that into words.

    I also appreciate the fact that you realize people who speak to you slowly, possibly underestimating how very smart you are, have good intentions even though they aren't being helpful. I wish I were always so understanding of people's behavior. :-)

    Good luck with the testing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love both what you said and how you said it; I love the phrase "a kind of ability." I also deeply appreciate that you took the time to say that some good people make mistakes. By realizing that, you are both generous and correct. I admire your forgiving spirit, your hard work, and your emerging talent as a writer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oliver, you are wonderful. I am so glad that people are treating you like the amazing, smart guy you are. Thank you for teaching us about you and about your way of being. We all need to hear what you have to say.

    ReplyDelete