Saturday, November 25, 2006

Thanksgiving Report

Latest Netflix viewing: I Walk the Line. Wonderfully acted and a stunning story of love and redemption. Definitely two thumbs up.

Today I made the most amazing Turkey. 3 HEADS of garlic with cloves pushed deep into the bird, then marinated overnight in a savory sauce made from lemons, white wine, orange juice, cumin, pepper and oregano. I ate so much that I had to stop myself after two helpings and then ate still more later when I was cleaning the kitchen. I can't wait for the leftovers tomorrow.

Oliver was a real star today. Nik took him to the grocery to pick up a couple of apples that I forgot to purchase yesterday, then he and I chopped them, along with 5lbs of carrots and fed them one by one into our Jack LaLaine Juicer. Then, throughout the day whenever I had some task to do I asked for his help and together we set the table, cleared it, unloaded the dishwasher and put the leftovers into the fridge. Of course with some of those tasks he lasted only a minute or two but still, he was willing and it was fun thinking of ways to include him in an RDI, experience-sharing kind of way.

I've been putting some thought into figuring out what I'm really thankful for today. The short list is pretty easy: I'm supremely thankful for my kids and for my wonderful husband. I'm also thankful that I have the world's most wonderful boss and that he helps me to feel accomplished at work even though it has been such a rough year and that I wasn't always "there" even when I was sitting at my desk. I'm thankful for the friends who have stuck with me and for those I've made this year. I'm thankful that I decided to start this blog even though it seemed like kind of a weird, narcissistic thing to do, because the people I have "met" over the Internet have been unbelievably supportive.

But perhaps the thing that I am the most thankful for is that my story is still such a work in progress. And that I have the chance to do even better. To be a better mother. A better friend. To take what has happened this year and learn from it. I'm looking forward to what is around the corner.

And I am also thankful for Netflix and that I won't have to cook dinner tomorrow!!

No comments:

Post a Comment